I love my 3 year old. She’s funny, imaginative, entertaining
and adventurous but let’s face it- she’s 3 and from my experience, with “3”
comes a RUSHING flood of arguments, tantrums, high-speed chases, silent
mischief, tears, screaming, sibling fights, nastiness and hurts. It’s like my
beautifully well behaved daughter suddenly realized she could deliberately do
things that causes a reaction. And to a 3year old on a quest for independence
naughtiness equals power.
They learn to make choices, “what do I want on my sandwich?”,
“Do I want to wear the pink top or the purple top? or my spotty dress.” “Should
I put honey or cocoa powder in this pot today?” (WAIT- hopefully not that one
either).
They’re learning more about emotions and what causes them
“oh wow, when I stand on the baby it makes him sad” “when I take my brothers
school book, he gets angry”. “If I say ‘NO’ to mum and run away, she yells at
me”
So that’s the theory, But in reality- She’s driving me CRAZY!
So today I’m going to write a list of my Top Tips for dealing with Three yr olds.
Not because I’m a know it all, but because these are a condensed version of
tips I’ve read and tried in the past- and because I need to get my head around
them again.
~make eye contact and
take the time to talk to her about
what’s expected: “I want you to pack the blocks, before dinner, you won’t get
dinner till the blocks are picked up and if they’re not picked up when we eat I
will take the blocks”
~A random hug and “I love you” or other sort of praise just after you ask her to do something works wonders too.
~A random hug and “I love you” or other sort of praise just after you ask her to do something works wonders too.
~Don’t nag her. “tell
you what, lets see if you can pick up the blocks by dinner without me reminding
you again ok.- see if you can remember all by yourself” and then bite your tongue hard and DON’T mention
it to her again. Just a note- if I think she has forgotten and I simply can not
keep quiet, mention it only as an aside “oh, I might pack the books up before
dinner while you do the blocks” or “Hi Honey. Dinner is almost ready, Our
daughter is going to pick the blocks up.”
~Give her free reign to choose on the things that don’t
matter- clothes, toys etc.
~Tell her if I’m not going to give her a choice “Mummy is going to choose your shoes today” but then offer another choice “you can choose to be happy or sad about that”
~Tell her if I’m not going to give her a choice “Mummy is going to choose your shoes today” but then offer another choice “you can choose to be happy or sad about that”
~And my no. 1
about choices: Let her choose to disobey. I don’t mean let her disobey (especially if its dangerous!)- I mean let her
CHOOSE to disobey. And if she does, enforce the consequences. Choosing to
disobey is choosing the consequences. Also use the word “choose” often, when
you talk to her. Ask her to look at you and say “are you going to choose to
pick up the blocks or choose to have them taken away?” and then WAIT for a response, respect her
choice and either praise her choice-
or take her blocks away.
~When she gets angry at me, when she doesn’t like the
consequences and throws a tantrum, don’t yell back or even say “well I told
you!” when I respond defensivly to her anger at me, she blames me for the consequence
or the limitation. Instead, genuinely empathise
“yes, it is sad that you can’t play with your blocks for a while” suddenly I’m
not the enemy, I’m on her side. Not only does arguing with me become impossible,
it prevents her from getting defensive, and it leaves the door open for her to
come to me about her emotions. Plus she’ll learn that she IS in control of her
actions.
~let her know that I feel too.
~Don’t entertain her tantrums but don’t ignore her either,
refuse to get caught up in an argument- if she’s “lost it” so much that empathizing
doesn’t work, put her time out and WAIT till she calms down.
~But don’t leave it
there. After she calms down always follow it through by briefly empathizing with what they were feeling,
explaining that reacting like that is
not ok! (perhaps suggest that if she starts to feel angry she should either
take themselves to her room to calm down, or come and tell me) then continue to
put the limitation in place again and
set and/or enforce the consequences.
~ give her a hug, tell her I love her and request that she
say sorry.
6. Relax:
~ remember that
all these new experiences are GREAT and very important for her in learning to
become a beautiful, strong and independent adult.
~ remember she WILL grow up
~ enjoy these years with her
~ DON’T worry about what other people think.
~ I am not responsible for her actions, but I am responsible
for how I deal with them.
7. LOVE HER. ~Always

No comments:
Post a Comment